At all USAPL events it is required that a minimum of 10% of the competitors be drug tested via urinalysis
- any registered competitor in the event can be tested for any reason
- Note: any USAPL member can be tested anytime and anywhere for any reason
In terms of banned substances, USAPL follows the guidelines of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)
- please consult the current WADA Prohibited List
Some nutritional supplements, preworkout products, and prescription and over-the-counter medications contain banned substances
- every athlete is responsible for what he or she puts into his or her body
Questions About a Substance and/or Product?
- For questions about whether or not a specific substance/medication is illegal to use and will cause a drug test failure (in-meet or out-of-meet), visit Global Drug Reference Online (Global DRO) for the United States
- The following websites serve as resources for quality control and certification of sports supplements and nutritional products; these websites are designed to identify products that have been independently tested for the presence of banned substances:
Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE)
Some substances on the banned substance list are allowed under certain circumstances if a true medical condition exists and has been diagnosed, documented, and justified by a physician. If a banned substance is prescribed by a physician for medicinal/therapeutic purposes, the athlete may apply for an exemption (applying in no way guarantees an exemption will be granted). Any application must be made at least 60 days before the intended competition. Exemptions will not be retroactively granted (i.e., after a drug test has been performed). Under no circumstances will exemptions be granted for anabolic steroids (e.g., testosterone, methyltestosterone), even if it involves hormone replacement therapy under the supervision of a physician. Please visit the USAPL Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) page for more information.
USA Powerlifting Drug Testing Database
The results of all drug tests carried out by USA Powerlifting are publicly available on the Drug Testing Database. All results (passed tests as well as failed tests) are publicly posted several weeks after the testing was performed. Test failures are reported with the reason for failure and the length of suspension. Simply click on the tabs at the bottom of the page for the various years or for the list of suspended members.